Our louvre opening roof systems, have revolutionised outdoor entertaining and living in. For example,the LouvreTec Room, complete with roof, shutters, or sliding doors, means you can stay outdoors in all weather. It’s a liveable space, just like any room in your house. The great thing about the Louvretec Room is that you can retro-fit products over time. Start with a deck, add an Opening Roof and then close in the sides - of course you can also add all of our products in one go.
Another advantage of a covered outdoor area is it provides shade when you need it. This is important for everyone but especially for youngster. Our children are more exposed to the sun than we are, with the World Health Organisation estimating that up to 80% of a person's lifetime exposure to UV is received before the age of 18.
While we like to think we’re a “SunSmart” nation, especially when it comes to protecting our kids, we still have a long way to go as these figures from a Victorian report show. The report looked at Victorian emergency department presentations for sunburn during the summer months of 2018-19 and this is what they found:
- One in two (53%) hospital presentations for sunburn were children and adolescents aged 0-19 years of age.
- Of the total 296 sunburn presentations reported, one in three (32%) were adolescents aged 10-19 years.
- One in five (21%) were children under nine years of age.
These figures are downright scary especially when epidemiological studies confirm that frequent sun exposure and sunburn in childhood are linked to high rates of melanoma later in life.
During a typically hot Australian summer, we all want to spend as much time outdoors as we possibly can. It’s a family affair, with the kids obviously being involved in the fun as well. To protect them from harmful UV rays, it’s long been accepted that you should do the following:
- Cover up with protective clothing, a hat and sunglasses.
- Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 15+.
- Limit their time in the midday sun. Australia’s UV index on a sunny day is at its highest between 11 am and 3 pm
- Seek shade